Wednesday, January 6, 2010

PROMOTION OF BASKETBALL AS A MAJOR ACTIVITY–RANDOM THOUGHTS

Every American Prison has a basketball court. Every garrison of American soliders builds a basketball court even in war zones. Mr. Nai Smith invented this game for young persons standing on street crosses doing nothing. The game is very fast paced and demands extra-ordinary physical fitness and concentration. It de-toxifies the body as nothing else does. ASK ME – I AM, SUBHASH MAHAJAN – and I will tell you stories till cows come home. I could live on basketball alone! Most of my students do!

SCHOOLS IN INDIA have become mini-prisons; we need to give these prisoners a break. The educational soldiers that we are producing by millions need to have physical fitness of equal measure. This is one game which can give this fitness within a period of 45 minutes. Innovative exercise drills which make children laugh and enjoy – make them WANT TO DO IT! Come, see me weave magic on a basketball court. Wherever I have gone BASKETBALL has become game number one.

DID I TELL YOU – Sister Julia from St. Mary’s Tumkur told me – all the children who have attended your basketball camps have changed – it is an extra-ordinary change. A principal who asked me to be the coach of her school didn’t have enough space to keep the trophies and suggested why don’t you start losing some games. Ha Ha! Come explore with me the potential that a ten year old boy has as he dribbles through his legs or behind his back or for that matter a twelve year old girl scoring a basket – then another – then another – then another – you wonder when she is going to miss.

WE DON’T TEACH THE WHOLE SCHOOL – just give me a group of 40 students – others will copy from them – we are only embedding, after that, there will be no turning back. I visited a school, which had three basketball courts – hardly anyone played on them. The principal told me, that they were planning to tear two courts down. I was allowed to conduct a camp for two days – now they are having problem to adjust so many students and a request has come for a FOURTH COURT [exclusively for girls]. Tell me, why I should stop teaching this game – tell me to stop living!

CHILDREN FITNESS is a big issue with everyone. It isn’t a issue with basketball players. Obesity is a crime – yet it keeps flourishing. Physically fit children do not fall ill, have a strong immune system, can take knocks and falls in their stride. At 56, as I run up and down the court for scoring or saving a basket – people stop in their tracks and wonder who is this bald child. And to get to this level of fitness the only crime I have committed is to have played basketball regularly for the last 45 years.

REALISE THEIR POTENTIAL before they become a burden for you and the society. Healthy habits must be developed early on in life – BASKETBALL is a good reason. Many players under estimate their talent – after playing this game – they understand one thing clearly – ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE. The spirit of courage and adventure is kindled in them. Climbing hills and walking in rivers –they can match any one at any age. You are listening to a man who has done more than 1000 hill climbs with probably more than one lakh children.

MORE – MORE ! I wish to train one million children in Basketball. Your co-operation will help me. Let us set the ball rolling. History may remember you – I AM ALREADY IMMORTAL!

No comments: