Monday, March 1, 2010

I CAN HELP YOU - I KNOW I CAN - BUT DO YOU THINK I CAN?

Having been involved with `sports students' for a couple of decades now - I often ask myself the question - what was the difference between those WHO ACHIEVED and those WHO DIDN'T. The answer has always been `attitude'. Ask any parent, teacher or a senior - they will agree. It is your approach that would ultimately decide how easy or difficult your SUCCESS would be.

I KNOW I CAN HELP YOU - I KNOW I CAN - BUT DO YOU THINK I CAN.

Read this sentence a couple of times. Try to understand the underlying message. These are not mere words - there is a tremendous desire on the part of the person saying this. A teacher's greatest obstacle in `communicating' is the MENTAL BLOCKS the students develop as they acquire knowledge. When the student himself is not sure whether the teacher can HELP HIM or not - even the best teacher cannot. The pre-requisite to any learning implies ABSOLUTE CONVICTION in the ability of the teacher. The greater the conviction the faster the learning.

I KNOW I CAN HELP YOU - I KNOW I CAN - BUT DO YOU THINK I CAN.

A teacher who believes in giving his best - needs students who can bring out his best. So there is a symbiotic relationship that sustains THE QUEST FOR LEARNING.
A few decades back even post graduate students were totally OBEDIENT - today we have very young students ridiculing their teachers. In the long run, they end up ridiculing themselves. The premise of learning is changing rapidly. The students and teachers are evolving new equations. LEARNING - REAL LEARNING - is a fatality here. It is in this scenario I proclaim that a teacher's anthem should be:

I KNOW I CAN HELP YOU - I KNOW I CAN - BUT I SHALL HELP ONLY IF YOU THINK I CAN!

No comments: