Friday, May 7, 2010

FUTURE OF INDIAN SPORTS PERSONS!

Some 15-20 years back, as I took my students for morning sports - I came across a few basketball players who had played for the state at junior level. They had `chosen' sports over academics and as they grew up - they felt that they had been short changed. They weren't able to get into the state team at senior level for `various reasons' and they didn't have a job that could support them.

I was moved by their plight. I approached couple of schools suggesting that they employ them as part time basketball coaches. My persuasive skills and sincerity in purpose helped many of these young players get jobs - which eased their economic pressures to some extent. There were small teething problems which I took care of. My own son went on to coach three schools at the same time and had a fat purse even as he was doing his graduation. IT WAS A WIN-WIN SITUATION!

Today, some of them have shifted to other jobs - while some have continued to prosper as basketball coaches. It was a delight to be able to break the `strangle hold' of qualified and established coaches who never looked beyond their nose and often sat in ivory towers. I had to pay a price for this - I willingly did. A.B.L.E. Academy for Basketball learning and Education - became a bench-mark for many schools. ABLE coaches were respected for their quality and `child friendly' attitudes.

That I was able to help these young basketball players at a most critical phase in their life - I still enjoy the after-glow of their success. They were my sons of basketball - I MISS ALL OF THEM! A.B.L.E. CUP - the marathon basketball tournament was conducted by them in an exemplary way - never to be repeated again. The best talent of UNDER-13 WAS AT DISPLAY - only merit nothing else mattered. That is another story!

As I build S.A.B.A.L - I am thrilled at the opportunity to SERVE THE CAUSE OF BASKETBALL for my country. I have more resources, more stronger resolve and best wishes and blessings of my friends here in India and abroad - especially great friends who are following my `actions' WITH DEEP INTEREST!

I TAKE THIS RESPONSIBILITY OF BUILDING A GOLDEN FUTURE OF THE S.A.B.A.L players - so help me Veer Hanuman!

No comments: