Monday, February 22, 2010

I THINK IT IS TIME TO QUIT FACEBOOK AND ORKUT

Yesterday on 21th February, a momentous act took place. The installation of Vir Hanuman statue at SUMPOORNA was completed amidst almost two hundred people. As I returned to Bangalore - I was fulfilled with the `deepest joy' I have experienced in my life. My family, my colleagues in Optus, my basketball students and few friends participated in this function - and as I saw this gathering the thought came to me that I HAVE ACHIEVED WHATEVER I WANTED TO ACHIEVE in my life.

SO,WHY I WANT TO QUIT FACEBOOK AND ORKUT? I donot have the urge to `give' or `take' anything from anyone now. I joined these two to give me a forum to `release' my urges of wanting to do something for the young generation that visited these sites. The responses to my messages were always `trivial' - the desire to be meaningful automatically got reduced. I expected interaction - introspection - critical dialogue - I got none. I didn't like `virtual' responses. I donot want to be VIRTUAL.

Already, some of the responses I am getting are adding up. But my decision is based on my personal requirements. I intended to utilise my `internet' time for it to be useful to me. IT DIDN'T SERVE THAT PURPOSE. Writing my blogs would continue - those who want to interact or journey along are welcome to correspond through e-mail. I have not liked CHATTING too. We assume too much about each other - and we discard and accept friendships at a click of a button. We post beautiful photographs of ourselves - but I see no beauty. For a time, I wanted to make only girls as my friends - AND I SAW MYSELF AS A PREDATOR. Very easily, I saw the futility of such predatory action. Hunting a girl in real life is so much better. Not that I am a hunter. Virtual relationships have `no meaning' - my personal relationships are so much more meaningful.

There have been occasions when I thought of quitting - but I was like an addict. My de-addiction has taken place. Most of my students donot have access to computers. Those few, who have, are the ones I meet in the ground every day. So there is no need for these two forums for this purpose.

MAYBE, some day I will come back. Right now I am saying goodbye to FACEBOOK and ORKUT. For those who want to continue a meaningful relationship please use e-mail which I find much more meaningful. Mine is optus.blore@gmail.com.

No comments: